“I try to give people a different way of looking at their surroundings. That’s art to me” (Maya Lin). For me, I always like to push conventional boundaries when it comes to art. My main focus is using unusual materials and mediums, taking it further by manipulating their function in a new and unique way. In my sculptures, I experiment with this process, pushing not only the boundaries of the media and its presentation, but my own artistic ability.


In my ‘Fragile’ series, I focused on the physical composition of paper, and attempted to push its structural limitations. ‘Fragile’ composed of a 8ftx4ft paper sculpture that allowed viewers to interact with the suspended structure. 

The cut-out paper pieces (leaf skeletons) were placed to evoke feelings of the natural world, more specifically cloud formations, but each angle of the sculpture gives a different perspective. 

The abundance of paper used, and the name given to the work, also gives a larger concept of humans interaction with the environment, and how they use and sometimes waste natural materials.


My ‘Spun’ series looked at using an unconventional art medium, sugar. I wanted to highlight the idea of fragility again, showing how boundaries can be manipulated in art. 

I enjoyed taking such a common substance and transforming it into a product of beauty. As McLuhan said, “once you see the boundaries of your environment, they are no longer the boundaries of your environment” (Marshall McLuhan).


My aim as an artist is to continue to and inspire others to continually push artistic boundaries and conventions, spreading awareness of issues and developing the creative world.

My website: https://miapfrancis.wixsite.com/mysite

Comments

  1. Love your work! Very intriguing concepts and beautiful execution. Great use of unconventional materials :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts