Rodeffer's Lettering


Shelby Rodeffer gave an interesting talk about her lettering artwork. I most enjoyed her artistic themes, focusing on communication and the effects of technology on the people. She looks at the digital world and the isolation and connection it can bring. This message is further emphasized when she works in digital media too.

I really liked her use of sketchbooks as I feel it shows her artwork as raw and natural. She uses her sketchbook as a low risk way to work out her ideas, therefore meaning that her sketchbooks are not intended to be art but maybe they become art instead. The freedom in her sketchbooks provides a compelling work of art itself.

It’s really interesting that she can work both digitally and in analogue, exploring and merging the traditional and technological advances in art. Lettering is an intriguing medium to work manually and digitally with. I think it’s cool how to play around with the third dimension in fonts and lettering, in both medias, having unique outcomes in both.



I really resonated with Shelby when she said that a lot of math is involved as she needs to make sure the layout is right and precise. When working with titles and annotations in my sketchbooks, I always make sure my work is measured to provide accuracy and therefore a more visually and aesthetically pleasing appearance.

I also really like Shelby’s use of color. She sticks to primary colors and uses the color wheel to contrast and compliment her letters. It reminds me of a the same style of Warhol’s pop art, giving it a simplistic but deeply effective outcome. For example in ‘Known Unknown’, Shelby’s use of red, yellow and green provide a bright, eye catching piece.



Comments

Popular Posts